Pre Existing Medical Conditions
If you have a pre-existing medical condition there are a few simple steps to take to ensure that you are covered for your conditions. Most conditions can be covered, either automatically or after a medical assessment as per below. Our Travel Insurance Services 25% discount applies to your total premium including any additional medical premiums.
» What is a Pre-Existing Medical Condition? (Click here for definition)
What is a Pre-Existing Medical Condition?
Pre-existing Medical Condition means a condition of which you were, or a reasonable person in your circumstances should have been, aware:
- prior to the time of the policy being issued that is:
- a chronic or ongoing:
- medical condition;
- dental condition; or
- Mental Illness, or
- a current pregnancy; or
- a medical condition connected with your current or past pregnancy; or
- related to in vitro fertilisation or another form of assisted reproductive treatment or procedure, or
- in the ten (10) years prior to the time of the policy being issued that involves:
- your heart, brain, circulatory system or blood vessels; or
- your respiratory system; or
- your kidneys, liver or pancreas; or
- cancer; or
- back pain requiring prescribed pain relief medication; or
- surgery involving any joints, the neck, back, spine, brain, skull, abdomen or pelvis requiring at least an overnight stay in Hospital; or
- diabetes mellitus (type 1 or type 2); or
- Mental Illness; or
- signs or symptoms for which you:
- have not yet sought a professional opinion regarding the cause; or
- are currently under investigation to define a diagnosis; or
- are awaiting specialist opinion, or
- in the two (2) years prior to the time of the policy being issued for which you:
- have been in Hospital, required an emergency department visit or had day surgery; or
- have been prescribed a new medication or had a change to your medication regime; or
- had or required regular review or check-ups; or
- have required prescription pain relief medication.
» (Click here to hide definition)
Conditions That Are Automatically Covered
There are 36 conditions that are automatically covered, that appear in the PDS, provided you have not been hospitalised (including day surgery or emergency department attendance) for that condition in the 18 months prior to the time of policy issue. If your condition is on this list, you are able to purchase a normal policy and you do not need to indicate that you need pre-existing cover or provide us with any details about your conditions.
For other medical conditions you will need to undergo a medical assessment to gain approval for coverage as per below.
Pre-Existing Cover Medical Assessment
The medical assessment is completed over the phone and you do not initially need any documentation from your doctor. The medical assessment team will ask you questions about your health and medications to determine the coverage we are able to provide for your specific health circomstance.
Before you call the medical assessment team you will need to receive a quote number from us by email with the procedure below.
Please note that the medical assessment for pre-existing cover is only available for international, domestic or annual policies purchased before you depart. It is not available for the non-resident plans or for travellers who are already overseas.
Medical Assessment Procedure
- Click to Get A Quote and fill in the form
- Ensure you provide us will all of your correct details including the full name of all traveller’s, dates of birth, destination and travelling dates
- Once you submit the quote form we will shortly email you a quote that will include a quote number and the medical assessment team phone number
- When you call the medical assessment team and complete the assessment, the results will be immediately sent to us and we will then email you with a final costing and purchasing instructions
Need further assistance?
Travel Insurance Services look forward to assisting you with a range of Travel Insurance products. You can save 25% on all the premiums whether you buy them from online via purchasing links or by contacting us over the phone.